Friday, June 26, 2009

Chino All-Stars

Tonight was the last night for the Chino Valley All Stars. For the last 3 years, and at least 3 years in Phoenix, Danny has coached a boys baseball team, even though none of our kids play. This year since he was the winningest coach he got to coach the All Star team. They have been playing all week for the area championships.


They lost their first game on Tuesday night to Verde Valley, then on Wed. and Thurs, they had 2 incredible wins! They pulled both nights out in the final innings. Last night's game was the most amazing win, I got there after work in the 4th inning the score was 1-6, with Williams winning. Since it was raining I decided to take the kids and run an errand and get something to eat. When we returned to the field it was the 7th inning and the score was 2-7, still Williams. I ate in the car thinking it would be over soon, by the time I was done and walked over to the field the score was 4-7, we had 2 outs and bases loaded, the batter walked, so we then it wat 5-7.


Colby came up to bat and hit a nice one and scored 2 to tie it up. Then Bradley got up and with 2 strikes on him, hit a line drive down the 3rd base line. The third baseman missed it and the winning run came in. It was amazing! Tonight though, the boys just weren't all there and ended up losing 13-0. They held on tight and didn't get really bummed until the 6th inning when we ran out of pitchers and once again playing Verde Valley they were able to run the score from 5-0 to 13-0.

They boys played great and ended up in 3rd place for our region! I love Danny, and know he truley loves baseball, these boys really enjoy playing for him and the boys from the other Jr team asked if he was coaching next year, because they all want to play on his regular team. Danny had to tell them that he thought it was his last year. He has such a big heart and loves to coach, however as our kids have gotten bigger and do more activities, it gets harder for him to take the time out for other people's kids.

I have to admit that I am not always supportive of Danny doing this. Especially since we have moved to Chino, all of these kids have parents who show up to the games and practices, they all give thier opinion but don't want to coach themselves. In Phx at least the majority of the team did not have supportive parents and I feel it was noble that he coached the group he did. It was very similar to the Keanu Reeves movie about coaching the ghetto team. But, like I said the kids here have the parents that are perfectly capable of stepping up, they all have opinions and think their kids is the next big thing. Besides our children need him too.

However, when I look at he boys and know they respect Danny and have enjoyed the season, it is a little bittersweet. Danny truley is a great coach and has even had a boy from his Phx team look him up and call to say how grateful he was. It's fun to hear all the boys call him Coach, even when the season is over and they run into him around town.

So, tonight I took some pics to remember his last year of coaching, at least for now. Maybe Sammy will be our baseball player, or I know that when our kids are moved out, Danny will most likely go back and coach again. For now, he might learn a little more about girls' softball and take on Lolo's team next year.

Thanks, Danny for being a good example to your kids about community participation and helping others!

No comments:

Post a Comment