How come every few Sundays it seems that all the kids in the ward, just go nuts? Some sacraments just seem to be crazy and loud. I know that most people seem to not mind, there are just a few Sundays that seem every child under the age of 6 is out of control. This was one of those days.
It started out by Danny locking Sammy and the keys in the car, and then trying to blame it on me...he was too worried about Sam being locked in the car in the heat and could not keep cool long enough to pick the lock. Normally this is one of Danny's talents, sometimes the old habits and lifestyle come in handy, most of our friends know to call him when they lock thier keys in their cars. So of course he was even more frustrated when he couldn't get the wire hanger to work today, the one I stole from the baptismal clothes closet. So after much "Discussion" and a friend offering to drive us home to get the other set, Danny can not stand his son sitting in the hot car any more and borrows a crowbar to break one of the small windows and frees Sammy, who really wasn't phased by the whole ordeal just a little sweaty. This should have been a warning that today would be one of those crazy Sundays.
In sacrament Sammy could barely sit still long enough for the sacrament to be passed. Since church is at 11:00 he misses his morning nap. In turn this gives us a cross between ornery and cranky. I could hear all of the other children getting fired up abou this time also. He has discovered the stairs up to the stand and likes to sit on them, he doesn't go up and entertain anybody. He just likes to climb up one step and sit on it, meanwhile he laughs and waves and jibber jabbers away. Today he discovered the curtains over the windows and tryed to play in them. So Sammy and I went for a walk in the foyer. I tried to take him back in once and he started walking around again and then b-lined it for the doors. The rest of sacrament was spent in the foyer. While out there one of our Sunbeams was there with his dad. This is one of our more wild kids, he does not listen well and was definately in a similar mood to Sammy's. I could tell the rest of the block would be loooooooooooooooong. Sharing time is getting really trying, Sammy is 6 weeks away from the nursery so he likes to rearrange chairs and get in people's faces and run all over. Today I took him to sit in nursery till it was class time, he did ok and played well.
When we got back to the Primary room they were just waiting on the Sr Primary so we could have opening or is it called Middle Exercises when we do it in the middle? I could tell it had been a long Sharing Time by the way I was greeted by a skipping and giggling Sunbeam, the one from the foyer and the looks on the leaders faces and on Danny's. I was promptly warned to watch my chest while around this little one. He sat on my lap for a little while, tried to pull my earings out, smacked my face, shook my face, called me names and then would get down and run around. Meanwhile the other 2 boys were acting out a little, but when it's all 3 it just seems worse. Sammy starts rearranging chairs again and resumes his antics around the room also. I finally get the Sunbeam to sit in a chair and he starts scooting it back into the rows behind us farther and farther away. I give him one warning of taking him to his mom and he stops for about 3 min, then goes back to scooting, when I ask him to stop, I get a loud NO! So we went and found mom and didn't see him again!
Danny and I proceed to class time, we always bring snacks, it seems to help them sit still. Except today, the moods mixed with licorice and cookies did not provide the stillness we normally get. The 2 boys left in class were barely listening unless we threatened no more food. Finally I look at one of the boys, dad is our dentist and I guess he rarely gets the kind of snacks we provide. As he smiles a chocolate smile at me, I say "Next week I'm bringing carrots.."
He stops, gives me the most worried look and exclaims, "WHAT?!"
I laugh, "You don't want carrots? You don't seem to listen with cookies and licorice."
He seems to straighten up just long enough to finish and make it to play time. We always end class time with letting them play with Sammy's cars from his baby bag, because whoever wrote the Sunbeam manuel did not realize the lessons need to last about an hour! It's hard to accomplish that with a page of lesson, maybe a page and a half!
So we try to finish by asking what we learned about and the 2 boys just laugh and don't answer. I wonder if thier parents wonder what the kids actually learn anything from us. I threaten carrots again and get at least one answer, family. Which is pretty much it.
Nuts and carrots were about the only thing I got out of church today, and a happy hour Dr Pepper from Sonic on the way home. Sorry sometimes, you just gotta have it!
No comments:
Post a Comment