Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The wind up, the pitch...

Lolo decided to play softball this year! Wow, what a plan! Here she is as the starting pitcher for The Chino Valley Rattlers. Never having played before she has only sat and watched Danny and I play season after season. She has observed Danny coaching the Jrs Baseball team year after year and in an attempt to get her Dad's attention she decided to jump in this year. Well, it worked. We have on h-e-double hockey sticks of a player on our hands. She made up her mind that she wanted to be a pitcher, I didn't try to
discourage her, but I just told her that having never played, she might just want to learn the basics first. I am so glad that she did not listen to me. Two practices ago I noticed her practicing with one of the assistant coaches, he didn't really look like he knew what he was doing, so I asked Danny if we knew anyone who could help her, since she really wanted to pitch. Sure enough he did, our friend Rocky, has coached his daughter's team the last few years. So, he said he would show her a few things. THANK YOU ROCKY! She started and pitched three out four innings. Now, for the girls minor league teams the girls pitch the first few batters until it's clear that they can not throw a strike then the coach takes over, Lolo's coach did not have to do that until the last 2 or 3 batters of each inning.


Now, thats not all, she has a surprising batting ability too. Personally, I think it comes from watching her mother play! Have you seen my profile pic??? HAhahaha. I am so proud of her for picking her own sport and playing with all her heart. Of course her team won 15-14. Another little rule for the minors is that after 5 runs the inning is over, instead of waiting for 3 outs. (Because if we had to wait for 3 outs, we might get 2 innings in each game:) So, it is hard to tell who was winning, because I thought each team always got 5 runs in. Apparently in the last inning the Rattlers pulled off 3 outs! These girls are so cute and are giving their all. It is clear that they truely enjoy this game.
Lolo usually ends up getting stuck playing or participating in whatever Danielle and Kody are involved in. This is the first time she picked her own sport. I am so glad she did. She was so proud of herself and had so much fun. As we were leaving, she said "I don't want to play soccer anymore! I only want to play SOFTBALL!" I think we have a future all star on our hands. She did get 2 strike outs in this game, so Rocky did a good job! I am also excited to see her so happy and pleased with herself. Lolo does not have the self-esteem that the older 2 have. I know that this is partially my fault for making so many jokes about her being our "walking birth control" for so many years. Danny and I have tried to calm down our teasing of her and seeing the glow on her face tonight means so much to me. I love that she has found her niche, (for now). I'm sure something else might come along but for now she is our STAR. Here we go Rattlers, here we GO!







2 comments:

  1. Good for her! I am so glad to hear she did well! It sounds like she did better than well, she totally knocked it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This almost made me cry... awesome for LOLO!

    ReplyDelete