It's funny how inspiration hits, and how you use it. Yesterday was the Sunbeams class turn for sharing time, the theme was about Listening to the Prophet during Conferance will help my eternal family. My idea was to have one President Monson's talks playing quietly in the background and let the kids know that The Prophet tells us what the Lord wants us to know through revelation and that if they listen they will be protected from the ways of the world. As I talked about protection from things, I asked the kids what they needed to be protected from.
One little girl (about 6) states "from mountain lions."
I laugh and then say "Yes, how do we protect ourselves from them?"
"With a gun!" She states, her family has many guns and camps alot! lol
"Your right!" All of a sudden an idea hits, "How else do we protect ourselves when we are camping or hiking?" Now I had a whole other plan, written down practiced, and prepared. I love when things take on a whole new plan. "Do we wear sandals when we hike?"
"No, you need boots to protect your feet from stickers and things" Came the response
"A tent!" Was another.
"That's right, if you go camping without a tent, you get cold, wet if it rains or animals might attack in the middle of the night." I reply. We talked about wearing long sleeves and pants so your arms and legs are protected. These kids are so smart. So then I ask if they can hear anything else besides me talking in the room.
They notice that the talk has been playing in the background. One little girls yells "That's President Monson!"
"That's right!" I say completely amazed that she knows him by voice. "How do you know that?"
"Because I have heard him before and I know his voice!" She says, good for her and her parents for teaching her this!
I tell them that listening the Prophet and his Apostles is like being protected when you are camping. That if you listen to the words they say at conferance, you will know what the Lord wants you to do and that he will help you stay away from temptations and bad situations. I then ask the same little girl, "You're in school, right? What if when you are at school another kid says a bad word and tells you to say one too? What you say that word?"
"No!" she says, so I ask why,"because my mom and dad told me not to say those words."
"Who told them those words were bad?" I ask
"Jesus." she replies
"How did Jesus tell them that?"
"Prayer."
"Right! That is what a prophet does, he prays and then the Lord tells him what we need to do. Then the Prophet tells us what the Lord wants. That is what conferance is, when the Prophet tells us what Jesus and Heavenly Father want of us. The Lord has promised if we listen and follow the commandments than we will be protected from the world."
A light comes on in all the kids eyes, now this is in Jr Primary, all the kids are ages 3-6. Inspiration then strikes again and I tell them that,"The Prophet is like our tent. Protecting us from the weather and elements, he's our boots and long sleeve shirt, our gun(my little hunter kept pointing out that you need a gun for protection.) The best part was they all understood, the whole camping idea had not been on my paper, I had a whole different direction I was going to go in. I love teaching the younger kids sometimes, they look at things differently than we do and I love that I was able to listen to them and realize that my idea wouldn't work. Thanks to the Holy Ghost I knew to go in an entirely different direction and had all the knowledge I needed to do that. So, next I had looked up some fun facts on the First Presidency and all 12 Apostles, then borrowed pics of all them at the library. We went through each one, holding up the pic and telling the kids the fun fact. Did you know that President Monson can wiggle his ears?
I then mixed up the facts and pictures, let each kid pick one fact than look at the pictures to tell us who it was. Out of 9 kids all but 2 got the right person on the first try, the other 2 got it on the second try. These kids actually listened, I am so thankful for true inspiration and being able to hold these childrens attention, I hope they remembered what was said. I ended with telling them that they should try to watch conferance with their parents next weekend and try to listen to each talk, I gave them a fun conferance packet that I put together from some past packets and encouraged them to color and watch with thier families. Sometimes just being in the room where the spirit is teaches us. We will at least feel the warmth from our Heavenly Father even if we sleep, or color, or clean house while conferance is on. Something will get through, I hope these kids encourage thier families to watch and listen to general conferance this weekend.
By the way, are your tents up and in good condition? Are there any holes inyour hiking boots?
For some reason, this didn't show up in my blogger update thing until today! But I have to tell you, you did a wonderful job on Sunday! When I walked in and the first thing I heard was, "The prophet is like our gun" I thought, "OH boy this got a little outta control" (Oh my heck I know how easily that happens with these kids) But then it all came together and I just really loved it. I was so impressed with the kids and how well they got to know the apostles. It really went great, and they listened so well. Just goes to show the spirit teaches, not us, and since you followed its promptings you were able to accomplish more than what happens normally: you got through a lesson!
ReplyDelete